September 6 in San Antonio history…
San Antonio Female College opens its doors. In 1916 the college was recognized by the University of Texas as a junior college. The name was changed to Westmoorland College in 1918 and to the University of San Antonio in 1937. In 1942 the institution passed out of Methodist control, and the University of San Antonio was merged with Trinity University.
Betty Jean Alden’s controversial statue of Samuel Gompers is unveiled along Market Street.
The San Antonio News publishes its final standalone issue. Tomorrow, it will be merged with the Express to form the San Antonio Express-News newspaper.