July 9 in San Antonio history…
A new employee at the San Antonio National Bank, 213 W. Commerce, stepped on the burglar alarm button, causing 10 police cars to dash to the bank.
The fire sprinkler system mysteriously activated at 6:45 a.m. in the Dillard’s department store in Central Park Mall this morning. Water spilled along floors and was several inches deep in some places. There was some seepage in the stockroom area. “It will be several hours before we can assess the damage,” store president Huber Hughes said. “Thanks to the the fire department help, we will be open for business as usual.”
Spontaneous combustion caused by towels soaked in linseed oil was believed to be the cause of a $250,000 blaze at the Thousand Oaks Racquet Club on the city’s northwest side. The towels were left by an employee applying preservative to the floor. ”Nobody told him about how combustible linseed oil can become when combined with a fiber material and that’s what happened in this case,” said arson detective Larry Foraker.