June 13 in San Antonio history…
Because it has lost its commercial appeal, owners of the Spanish Governor’s Palace have revealed plans to tear the building down.
In no uncertain terms, Mayor C.W. Chambers today demanded the Order of the Alamo must either stage its 1929 coronation in Municipal Auditorium or San Antonio’s streets will be barred to Fiesta de San Jacinto parades.
An official Texas Historical Marker commemorating the founding of San Antonio is unveiled today downtown, near HemisFair. The marker citing the city’s 250th birthday, is located next to the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce headquarters facing Alamo Street at Commerce Street. San Antonio was officially founded in May 1718. The area, however, was first named on St. Anthony de Padua Day, June 13, 1691, by Spaniards.