February 17 in San Antonio history…
The first San Antonio Rodeo and Livestock Exposition is kicked off – in the brand new Bexar County Coliseum (later known as the Joe & Harry Freeman Coliseum.)
The Finck Cigar Company building, built in 1882, is illegally demolished at 7:45 on a Sunday morning. A construction company crew discovered at the debris-covered site of the designated city landmark was cited for allegedly violating the city code by not having a demolition permit. Just weeks after the demolition, State Sen. Frank Tejeda filed a bill requiring responsible parties to rebuild historic buildings that are damaged or destroyed, or pay an amount equal to the estimated replacement cost to be used for preservation projects. But since the bill was not retroactive, it could not be used to make anyone pay the estimated $200,000 it would have cost to replace the Finck Building. In the end, the joint venture paid a $25,000 fine to the city for the demolition.