December 22 in San Antonio history…
The cornerstone of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church is laid, but because of the Civil War, the first service in the completed church was not held until Easter 1875.
The City Council today approved a contract for the construction of a 622-foot tower for HemisFair 1968 and sold $5.5 million in bonds to pay for the structure.
The final pre-cast and furnished room (of 496) is flown into place on the 20th floor of the Palacio Del Rio Hotel. Placement of the last room was scheduled for January 5, but H. B. Zachry’s crews became so adept at hoising the 35-ton concrete rooms the “last flight” was moved up. (photo right)