March 9 in San Antonio history…
The first Canary Islanders arrive in San Antonio. Their legacy lives on today in Main Plaza downtown, also called Plaza de las Islas.
The old cornerstone of the Texas Hotel, built as St. Mary’s Hall in 1866, is removed as the building is razed.
The City Council awards the river barge contract to Yanaguana Cruises instead of Paseo del Rio Boats who had run them since 1949. Yanaguana changed ownership in 2002 and was renamed Rio San Antonio Cruises.