April 21 in San Antonio history…
The first San Antonio Baseball Club is organized. J. S. Lockwood, president; Russell Norton, secretary.
Juan N. Seguin, in a letter to General Bee of this city, positively asserts that the charred bones and ashes of the Alamo defenders, burned by Santa Anna’s orders, were collected in an urn and deposited in a grave which the writer had dug inside of the cathedral of San Fernando, in front of the altar close to the railing. (from the April 21, 1889 San Antonio Light newspaper)
Three automobiles participated in the 14th annual Battle of Flowers parade.
The refurbished copper Indian is returned to his place atop the old Missouri Pacific depot downtown. Castroville blacksmith Alan Lewis restored the Indian after it was found battered and bent in a nearby field when vandals removed it five years ago.