December 29 in San Antonio history…
Texas is admitted to the Union as the 28th state.
A local shortage of sugar has forced a limit of five pounds per consumer by San Antonio retailers.
Mayor John Tobin and Park Commissioner Ray Lambert announced proposed plans for the beautification of San Pedro Creek from Travis to N. Flores.
The Baylor Bears with Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Robert Griffin III (right) defeat the Washington Huskies in the 19th annual Alamo Bowl by a score of 67 to 56, setting all sorts of records in the process:
- Baylor set school bowl records for points in a quarter, half and a game.
- The 43 combined third-quarter points set a Valero Alamo Bowl record.
- Baylor’s 67 points are the most scored by a team in FBS bowl history (previous was 66 by Nebraska in 2000 Alamo Bowl).
- Baylor and Washington established a FBS bowl record for most combined points (123) in a regulation bowl game (previous was 2001 GMAC Bowl; Marshall and East Carolina were tied 51-51 before heading into overtime).
- Baylor and Washington established a FBS bowl record for most combined yards of total offense with 1,397, shattering the previous mark of 1,211 total yards set in the 2005 Insight Bowl.
- Baylor established a FBS bowl record for most yards of total offense with 777, shattering the previous mark of 718 total yards set by Arizona State in the 1972 Fiesta Bowl.