March 23 in San Antonio history…
The weekly San Antonio Herald, which began publication on April 3, 1855, changes to a daily edition with this issue. The Herald was one of the first papers to suggest Sam Houston for governor, but it lost much of its popularity with subscribers and advertisers when it espoused the cause of John Ireland against Gustav Schleicher in a Democratic race for Congress. In 1880 the Herald was absorbed by the San Antonio Daily Times.
San Antonio will join Dallas and Houston as area headquarters for the Southwestern Bell Telephone Co., it was announced today. The company is creating a new operating area in Texas with headquarters in a new nine-story addition to its building at 1010 N. St. Mary’s.